University of Botswana History Department
"El Negro of Banyoles"
El Negro Index Page
Some questions and answers on Batlhaping
History Home Page
El Negro: schedule of arrival & burial
The flag of the Organization of African Unity, on whose mandate Botswana is
receiving and reburying the body of "El Negro"
Unofficial Provisional Timetable of Events October 4th-5th, 2000
Wednesday October 4th:
- arrival of body at Sir Seretse Khama airport, Gaborone.
Botswana Defence Force pall-bearers. Speeches by Minister Merafhe etc.
Prayers. Transport to Gaborone civic centre. Prayers on arrival.
- public viewing of body at civic centre as long as
people keep coming, overnight if necessary.
Thursday October 5th:
NB changes from earlier schedule.
All events will now be at Tsholofelo Park.
- members of public arrive
- senior government officials arrive
- members of parliament arrive
- members of diplomatic corps arrive
- cabinet ministers arrive
- funeral procession arrives at Tsholofelo Park
- followed by
- prayer service
- statement by Botswana government representative, Mompathi Merafhe
- statement by Spanish government representative, Eduardo Garringues
- statement by Organisation of African Unity representative
- burial and committal of body to the grave
- last post sounded by BDF buglers
- vote of thnaks by mayor of Gaborone
- followed by
- National Anthem
Back to top
Copyright © 2000 University of Botswana History Department
Graphic of OAU flag by Stuart Notholt, FOTW Flags Of The World
Last updated 4 October 2000